Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Saltine Players

When I was an ingenue, a producer I worked for recommended a troupe that played the schools in North and South Carolina. I sent my resume to the director/producer and when he came to NYC, I received an interview that landed me a job with the Sauline Players. I played Hilda Von Gleck, a rich little girl who adored Hans in our play Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates. The problems that Hans faced were all solved when I handed him five guilders. We performed during the school week to enthusiastic classes that changed our name to the Saltine Players. In the evening we played for the entire family. The comedy titled, Your Uncle Henry, was about--I can't--mercifully, I think--remember.
One day, the classes applauded, cheered and lined up to get our autographs after the show had ended. We were all smiles as we signed our names with theatrical curlicues and hearts where a dot hung over the i. The line of kids finally ended with a small redhead who said,"Finally. I've got all the names now--what do I get for my prize?
So much for vanity.

Bests,

Elise

My eBook cozy mystery titled Scene Stealer is available at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble, Carina Press and wherever eBooks are sold. An audio version has been produced by audible.com


Download hot ebooks from Carina PressAudiobooks at audible.com!

3 comments:

  1. Is your book about your time with the Sauline Players? I saw them in elementary school, mid 1950's and have never forgotten them.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the Sauline Players wonderful shows. In our rural communities, we never were exposed to much live theater. You all brought that much needed exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete