What do writers need? What enables them to put words on a page? The following are my choices:
- A vivid imagination that can conjure up another time, place and happening.
- A portable memory bank—one carried around in the brain—a bank that stores images, dialogue, quirks, and memories of loves and hates, odd incidents.
- The ability to summon up a taste, a stench or an aroma, hear a sound, a phrase, or a conversation and visualize a sight, a person or a street.
- A streak of stubbornness that keeps her from giving up no matter the odds until the piece he loves is published.
- The ability to use criticism and separate fools’ gold from gold dust.
- And the obvious—a love of reading.
What are your choices?